xsl-list

Re: [xsl] global language parameter

2010-02-14 06:58:43
At 2010-02-14 10:18 +0900, Charles Muller wrote:
Ken's response, together with this, exposes the fact that I don't really know what I am doing here.

Not a problem ... at the least you were trying your own solution rather than simply asking for your issue to be solved without trying (as some posters do).

Then I wouldn't call that a "global parameter" since it is changing as it is applied to each construct.

In other words, I could just write the style declaration for this once at the top of my style sheet, and not have to write it separately at each element.

I believe you want to write the style processing for this once and have it engaged by every element.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology?

That is a start ... you want some global code to be executed for each element so as to wrap its processing in a span.

Or attempting something that can't be done?

We won't be sure until we understand exactly what you are trying to do. But if I've guessed correctly, there is some "global processing" you can do on each and every element that is characterized (or not) as you need.

If you are using XSLT 2.0, then you could add this to inject processing before the processing of every element that has an xml:lang= attribute:

<xsl:template match="*[(_at_)xml:lang]" priority="1">
   <xsl:choose>
     <xsl:when test="lang('sa')">
         <xsl:next-match/>
     </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="lang('zh')">
         <xsl:next-match/>
     </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="lang('ko')">
         <xsl:next-match/>
     </xsl:when>
     <xsl:otherwise>
         <xsl:next-match/>
     </xsl:otherwise>
   </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

If you are using XSLT 1.0, then you get this behaviour using an onion-skin-thin importing stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet ...>
<xsl:import href="main-stylesheet"/>

<xsl:template match="*[(_at_)xml:lang]">
   <xsl:choose>
     <xsl:when test="lang('sa')">
         <xsl:apply-imports/>
     </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="lang('zh')">
         <xsl:apply-imports/>
     </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="lang('ko')">
         <xsl:apply-imports/>
     </xsl:when>
     <xsl:otherwise>
         <xsl:apply-imports/>
     </xsl:otherwise>
   </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

In both cases above the template rule intercepts all elements that have xml:lang=, does the processing, and then lets the "regular" processing then continue inside of the span.

I hope this is helpful.

--
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training:   San Carlos, California 2010-04-26/30