xsl-list

RE: [xsl] exslt random:random-sequence() and Math:random()

2010-03-18 09:20:50
So my next idea was to use the generate-id() function which
generates unique ids, and hack it to get a random number. Any
thoughts on this approach?

It won't give you anything that could reasonably be described as a random
number, but since you haven't told us your requirements, we can't tell you
whether it's an adequate solution.

If a bad randomizing algorithm is good enough for Microsoft when facing a €100m
penalty (see [1]), then it might be good enough for you too.

[1]
http://news.techworld.com/applications/3213973/microsoft-browser-ballot-not-random/?olo=rss

Regards,

Michael Kay