xsl-list

Re: [xsl] mixed content grouping by whitespace

2010-04-12 09:15:55
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:58, David Carlisle
<davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
It seems that when the solution requires a two pass one done all in
one stylesheet, I have difficulty getting my head around it.
It's usually best to think of these as two completely separate
transformations, and it helps to think about it if you serialise the
intermediate stage using something like

<xsl:message select="$variable"/>
just after the </xsl:variable>

That is certainly a good way to see what the variable is doing.  Often
I write these two steps, it seems, as completely separate stylesheets.
 I do the first operation, and then the second operation in the next
stylesheet. This is, of course, highly inefficient but simpler for my
weak intellect to deal with... and multi-passes are easier to
understand than muenchian recursion (which took me awhile).  But I've
noticed increasingly I'm doing lots of things in a variable, then
taking a second or even a third bite at the cherry by processing that
variable again in another variable. But for someone who thinks of
themselves as a non-programmer, this is starting to sink in the more I
use it. ;-)

-James