xsl-list

Re: [xsl] question about generate-id()

2010-08-08 01:55:31
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 18:49:29 +0100
Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

IMHO the definition (English) is wrong.

I don't understand what you mean by "wrong". I think you mean simply
that the function as specified doesn't meet your requirements.

Not at all, I use it regularly myself.

"The generate-id  function returns a string that uniquely identifies a
given node."

It's more inferred than explicit.

Uniquely? In what context. Not explicit.

a given node? Again, a node from which nodeset?
All possible input nodes from the source document, doc() functions?

My inferences: I assumed (clearly wrongly by this thread) that it
generated an ID value (call it xml:id for now) that was unique as
per the definition in XML, i.e. unique amongst the nodes of the input
document. Were that the case, people wouldn't be adding all the extras.

Hence, the spec needs clarifying. IMHO

--

regards

--