xsl-list

Re: [xsl] question about generate-id()

2010-08-08 04:17:24
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 09:19:55 +0100
Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

a given node? Again, a node from which nodeset?
All possible input nodes from the source document, doc() functions?

Any node that you pass to the function as an argument. The result is
unique in the sense that if you call the function on two different
nodes, you get two different identifiers.

So not 'unique' as xml:id defines unique?

 Or as the spec puts it: "it
always generates the same identifier for the same node and ...
different identifiers are always generated from different nodes."

Again only in the context of the call to the function.
I.e. there is no explicit scope.

My inferences: I assumed (clearly wrongly by this thread) that it
generated an ID value (call it xml:id for now) that was unique as
per the definition in XML, i.e. unique amongst the nodes of the
input document.

The spec explicitly says "There is no guarantee that a generated
unique identifier will be distinct from any unique IDs specified in
the source document.".

So 'generate-a-random-string' might be more accurate than
generate-id?

--

regards

--