xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Best approach for writing an XML log whilst processing/writing other XML documents?

2010-08-13 09:08:55
The only way I can think of doing is in a 2-pass algorithm, first
doing all the copying (more=replace), then going through it all
again
and produce the report (mode=report), but I hope there is another
way
(particularly one that avoids having to go through all dependency
files twice)

Could anyone give me a clue on this?

I had a similar need years ago, and tried to make xsl:message deal
with it.  Eventually I needed xsl:message for other things (like
throwing out "errors" and such), and just had to bite the bullet and
go with two passes.

From Dr. Kay's reply, it sounds like this is being looked into for
XSLT 2.1; I hope something can be worked out eventually as I for one
would definitely use such a feature!

Something like result-document indicating multiple output
destinations, specifying each with an identifier and one as the
default.  Then xsl:sequence etc. can have an optional attribute to
specify an output using the identifier (and default otherwise) ?
Sounds like a fun problem :-)

...sam