xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Best approach for writing an XML log whilst processing/writing other XML documents?

2010-08-13 09:21:30
>From Dr. Kay's reply, it sounds like this is being looked into for
XSLT 2.1; I hope something can be worked out eventually as I for one
would definitely use such a feature!

Something like result-document indicating multiple output
destinations, specifying each with an identifier and one as the
default.  Then xsl:sequence etc. can have an optional attribute to
specify an output using the identifier (and default otherwise) ?
Sounds like a fun problem :-)

We tried something along those sort of lines - it got horribly messy and we abandoned it.

We came up with xsl:fork

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-21/#fork-instruction

where basically you write your logic as two passes over the data, and then say to the processor that you want both passes to operate in parallel.

It allows the two passes to do completely different navigation of the input (e.g. they don't have to select exactly the same nodes), which is good for the general use case, but not ideal where you want them both to do exactly the same navigation.

The other interesting question is whether xsl:fork really needs to be written by the user, or whether it's the kind of thing that one should leave to the optimizer.

Michael Kay
Saxonica