xsl-list

Re: [xsl] yet another namespace question (unwanted xmlns="")

2010-08-16 15:43:34
On 16 August 2010 19:30, Wendell Piez <wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Hi,

At 09:42 AM 8/15/2010, you wrote:

Dear XSL List,

Move the  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; to the xsl:stylesheet
element. Currently
you have it inside of a template so that it only applies to the elements
created in that template.

Thanks very much to Martin and Michael for the quick response and the
explanation. I now realize that I've been putting namespace declarations in
the wrong place all my life (well, all the life of the namespace spec,
anyway), thinking that because I want them to appear on the root element of
my result document  I should put them there in the stylesheet, instead of
putting them on the root element of the stylesheet itself and letting them
get copied to the root of the result. As a bonus, for the first time
exclude-result-prefixes now seems to do what I've always wanted it to do.

Of course, one does have to take care that XPath expressions still select
and match in the namespace one wants them in. Fortunately, in XSLT 2.0 we
have xpath-default-namespace to help with this.

Changing the default namespace doesn't affect xpaths... that's
xquery's big fault - or did you mean something else?

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com