xsl-list

[xsl] Catalog support in Saxon-B (Linux)?

2010-08-26 17:25:42
Hello everyone again,

A few days ago many of you were very helpful in dealing with a
programming problem of mine; the consensus was that the best option
was to use tools available in XSLT 2.0 but not in 1.0.

So... I have Saxon-B installed, but when I try to run it I get this
result (my input files are HTML):

    Error
      java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL:
      http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
    Transformation failed: Run-time errors were reported

In digging, this appears to be a Java implementation issue rather than
an XSLT one per-se, but I'm hoping that someone can offer some
suggestions as I've done most of my programming in perl and am very
foreign to Java configs. I'm running the standard 'libsaxonb-java'
package on Ubuntu 10.4 and invoke it using the command "saxonb-xslt".
I'm wondering if there's a straightforward way to implement catalogs;
some of the solutions I'd found are hardly what I called
straightforward.

I think I'd come close in an older manpage for saxon, but there is no
file on my system called /etc/java/resolver/CatalogManager.properties
and I'm not sure what the syntax is for that file.

Any pointers are welcome. Some of my usergroup friends are telling me
the easiest way to get around them is to install a local caching
server to maintain my own cached versions of the W3C files (and I'm
told the W3C doesn't block Squid requests because it's presumed to be
friendly). Somehow I think there's got to be an easier way to do this.
At worst, is there a way to prevent the download/validation process
entirely? (I'm invoking Saxon with "-dtd:off" but that doesn't prevent
the download attempt.)

Again, thanks!

Evan Leibovitch
Centre for Refugee Studies