xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Are there things missing in XSLT which force people to use, say, Java to process XML?

2010-10-29 08:04:16

XSLT uses a functional programming model, which means a change of mindset to handle it. Basically, XSLT is missing widespread programmer support.

Many back-end databases cannot be accessed as XML documents with XPath expressions, so you'll need something to wire it up with SQL.

In spite of years of stressing that XML parsers are efficient and should be used, I've seen people using home-grown pseudo XML parsers, that break on the slightest change, which would be nearly invisible to a standard XML parser, such as prefix changes or formatting....

This is not just limited to Java, I've seen it in C++, PHP, Perl, Phyton, etc.

Jeroen.

Quoting "Costello, Roger L." <costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org>:

Hi Folks,

Many developers use Java to process XML documents.

Why?

Are there things missing in XSLT which force them to use Java? What things?

/Roger