xsl-list

[xsl] RE: Are there things missing in XSLT which force people to use, say, Java to process XML?

2010-10-29 14:59:18
Hi Folks,

I recently saw the following assertions. Can you help me refute them please:

(1) XSLT is a complete programming language, but doesn't support
    most things most developers need to do.  (Graphics, networking,
    relational database access, parsing HTTP headers, generating RSS
    feeds, peer-to-peer networking, memory management & caching, thread
    management, MIDI programming, the list goes on and on and on).

(2) Java (and others) were also designed to be enterprise-class programming
    languages.  This means the assumption that many programmers will
collaborate
    around a large project.  Encapsulation and complexity hiding are very
important.
    A strongly typed, compiled language (not interpreted) is also important.
    In short, XSLT wasn't designed for "programming in the large".

/Roger