xsl-list

Re: [xsl] xslt test automation

2010-11-30 15:39:52
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Dave Pawson
<davep(_at_)dpawson(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:14:16 +0000

(2) the XML summarising the output
Common to any testing?
No, just to XSLT testing/

My point was that this summary is common to any
testing, XSLT or otherwise?

Ok, so I'm sure there are commonalities, I'm just trying to control
scope that's all.

reference to test definition(s)
Test count run
Tests passed, failed, not run.

Oddity.
 templates [matched/named]used
 Templates [matched/named] not used.
 Input elements not matched (??? If applicable)
All included in the output summary. Unmatched templates appear as
errors

Ah, you're saying what you already do? I understand.
It may not be an error though? For this run I may
not need the output of a particular template?
Report it, but let the user define it as an error or otherwise?

At the moment this is low-level, so if the processor reports an error,
for example on being unable to locate a named template, that's how its
reported.

 functions used.
 XML comparison of expected/actual from each template.... Possible?
     Not sure. How to encapsulate depth? XMLdiff definitely needed.
Agree XMLdiff would be invaluable for regression testing, but this
isn't the only kind of test.

You didn't classify the 'kinds' of tests, hence IMHO it is
needed in a GP XSLT test setup?

Agree this is a basic need, I will include an XSLT implementation for
XMLdiff, at the moment its left to the customer.

"The requirement is that all output data not normally accessible to
 XSLT-based frameworks is collated into a single XML resource,"

As a requirement of what testing you want to do I find that a bit
on the vague side?

Yes, very vague, but its a start, providing a 'hook' for existing
frameworks to exploit.

Given a requirement to 'produce a transform to take Schema X instance
and produce something to Schema Y', what requirement would you
put on the testing of the work done by the XSLT author?

Schemas can represent all kind of rules, so this can be part of the
test, currently the validation report uses a variation of the schema
used for the transformation report. Eventually it should be possible
to combine these.
In the current implementation, for XSD, a tester normally selects an
XSD resource folder, they're presented with the top-level files
associated for each target namespace, these are then assigned to the
input or output schema validator. All input and output files are also
scanned for schema-location hints and an attempt is made to resolve
these so they're presented in a list ready for use. Validation is
performed on a separate batch process to the transform, so this is
semi-automatic at best.

Some easy ones, some not so easy. "Has he/she done their job/what was
asked of them" is part of the question to answer.

Yes, traceability to requirements is critical to any acceptance
testing. For smaller projects I can see some benefit in using
XSLT/EXPath to maintain a spreadsheet/database, keeping links of
requirements, satisfaction arguments, the tests, and the test results.

I'm sure there's lots more than that.

Far easier to test XSLT 2.0 functions against expected values etc.

Yes, testing with extension functions with side-effects, like EXPath,
is also a consideration. Only a .NET EXPath ZIP (first draft)
implementation is currently catered for internally, but more general
support could follow.
How much can you mess with the XSLT being tested before someone cries
foul?
Ultimately it's down to the tester to make a judgement on how far they
want to go with this, there will be limits

Phil Fearon
http://qutoric.com

Phil Fearon
http://qutoric.com