xsl-list

[xsl] Novice Question - matching entire text children

2010-12-20 07:09:44
XSLT 2.0
I have a problem (probably my own misuse of XSLT) but I run into cases where

<xsl:template  match="NODE/text()">
?
</xsl:template>

can match more then once in a row.   I have not debugged this yet to
determine if something more complex is really the culprit (probably is),
and the text nodes matched seem to be whitespace  " \n\t .."
But before I really start digging maybe someone could tell me offhand what
the *expected* behaviour is ?

If I have an element lik
                <ELEM>
  some

Text
Here   </ELEM>

is
<xsl:template  match="NODE/text()">

*supposed* to be called once and only once with the entire text children or
is it possible that it is called multiple times with chunks of data as the
processer sees fit. ?

I know just enough to hurt myself by knowing that in various data models
the CHARACTERS (aka text()) can be arbitrarily chunked but I don?t know (or
know where to look) to answer the above definitatively ?

Thanks for any suggestions

David A. Lee
dlee(_at_)calldei(_dot_)com
http://www.xmlsh.org