xsl-list

Re: [xsl] 1st previous node()

2011-02-08 08:25:03
On 02/08/2011 01:16 AM, Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
Given that <X> is the context node then I expect the previous node is
<B>.

<A>
 <B>
  <X> this is context node </X>
 </B>
</A>

This suggests to me that you are thinking about *tags*, not *nodes*.

B is the ancestor of X, not its predecessor.

This paragraph from XPath 1.0 may help:

NOTE: The ancestor, descendant, following, preceding and self axes
partition a document (ignoring attribute and namespace nodes): they
do not overlap and together they contain all the nodes in the
document.

Others have already pointed out the usefulness of * over node() in your
examples, and the possible utility of the preceding-sibling axis.  I
recommend re-reading <URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/#axes >, or the
more precise but harder to read <URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#axes >.

~Chris
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over
 public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.” — R.P. Feynman
GnuPG Fingerprint: C6E4 E2A9 C9F8 71AC 9724 CAA3 19F8 6677 0077 C319