xsl-list

[xsl] Another Example [Was: Namespaces]

2011-04-20 11:16:01
Hi all, ac in particular,

Reading the namespace thread, I felt it worthwhile throwing in an example we are working on at this end.

We are currently building a warehouse for a large international publishing house. We need to bring in stuff from different localized companies all having their own vocabularies. Although we tried to make a generalised vocabulary for the metadata, we needed to allow local extensions, and for avoiding conflicts between the element names, we gave each local company its own namespace for the extension So, we are having a couple of our own namespaces and then some 10 easily for the local extensions (number still growing)
In my opinion this is what namespaces are meant for... so legitimate use so far

At the publishing end we are pushing to various portal solutions, including stuff such as MathML, SVG, XHTML, plus for avoiding naming conflicts again, some extensions based on the document type, again with different namespaces

Somewhere in the middle we are using RDF, SKOS, ... do I need to make a picture? Another 5 namespaces easily

I am not going to count exactly now what I have so far in my stylesheets,
but I bet I have over 30 in them, closer to 40 than to 30 I am afraid.

I have cut some corners in the story, so please don't go picking on the details.
I am pretty convinced that having 30 or more namespaces in my stylesheet,
is not something that makes me extremely happy,
but is something that is very hard to avoid in the huge scope of these projects

Just my 2cts

Geert