xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Re: random url for namespace to avoid uncontrollable dependencies

2011-08-25 08:09:24
I suspect that this is a little off-topic for this list, but I presume
(perhaps foolishly) that the whole point of using URIs as namespaces
was precisely so one could choose a namespace that *is* under one's
control.

No one else in the world is going to use anything in the
'www.wwp.brown.edu' domain for a namespace except me. Similarly, if
you've paid gmx.net for your web-hosting services, the namespace
'http://ns.gmx.net/~noisyb/project1' (or whatever) seems perfectly
safe from other's use (until such time as you end your arrangement
with gmx.net at least).

On the other hand, lots of people *might* decide (foolishly, I would
say) to use localhost.

I don't know what, if any, legal recourse one has to protecting a
namespace, but boy I hope it never comes down to that.

For the purpose of establishing an XML namespace, a URI (a URI
reference, to be precise) is just treated as a string literal.

So firstly, you don?t have to use URLs. You may use any URI that
is formed according to the rules of RFC 3986, be the URI scheme or
the URI registered somewhere or not. A URI may be
urn:ISBN:9784711081542, for example. Some XML parsers may not even
check whether the URI is formed according to RFC 3986?s rules.
So your MD5 hash may be accepted, too.

If you do use URLs, it doesn?t matter by whom they are
controlled, whether the host name part DNS-resolves, whether the
resource they point to exists, etc. For practical purposes it?s
just important to know that http://my.domain.net is a different
identifier than http://my.domain.net/ or
http://my.domain.net/index.html, or, as in the example given on
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names/#NSNameComparison,