xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Displaying Icon in Page Margin

2011-09-15 16:54:09
Wait ... I thought you were writing your own XSL-FO stylesheets and
not using another "XSL translation to FO", perhaps one off-the-shelf
That would imply the need for two passes as you suggest.  But all
of your questions suggest this is not the case.

Sorry, I should have elaborated more on what I'm doing. I've used
topic and domain specialization to add several elements to DITA. I'm
processing that DITA content using the DITA/OT. Using the hooks that
DITA/OT provides, I've created XSL templates for all my specialized
content to create FO and HTML. DITA/OT gives you the ability to both
override existing templates and to create new ones.

So yes, I can write my own translations. My reasoning for thinking I
would need to preprocess the XSL is that I am going to need a rule
like I mentioned before:

<template match="entry[position()=1 and  ( . |
following-sibling::entry)//limit/@origin = 'fdx' ]">

I assumed that the input file would need to already have that extra
first column added before this rule executes. I hadn't really
considered it until I read Eliot's preprocess solution, but I could
customize DITA/OT's table handling templates to add the extra column,
and then use a mode attribute with the match above to keep it from
matching until the table had been modified.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that the complexity of this solution
makes me a little uneasy, though. I don't doubt it would work.. I just
worry about it's long-term viability (both for me and for my eventual
successor) . Believe me, I've done my share of hacking (and then
some), but it usually comes back to bite me at some point.

Unfortunately I guess hacking is kind of a forgone conclusion at this
point. Kevin's XEP solution
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/message/24049)  was one
of the coolest and, at the same time, most terrifying things I've read
in a while. :)

Really appreciate all the ideas, guys. This has been a very fun exercise.

-bpopp