xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Can grouping here the solution ?

2011-11-22 10:36:06
Hi,

On 11/22/2011 10:53 AM, Rob wrote:
Wow.
I would have thought that "text()" would return the text, not a sequence of
nodes.
That's really counter intuitive.

There's a lot about XSLT, and XPath too, that's counter-intuitive, especially if your intuition is informed by the way other languages work.

It could be argued that this keeps you on your toes while you are learning (unless you aren't paying attention, and stub them), and this is good since after all, XSLT and XPath are quite different from other technologies. (Which is also good, since if they weren't, we wouldn't need them. Their being different is a necessary condition of their being distinctively useful.)

In XPath, "text()" is actually short for "child::text()". If you know this, you are perhaps less likely to think it's something it isn't.

All this is detailed in the volume "Secrets of the XSLT Masters" (unpublished).

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez