xsl-list

[xsl] XSL-FO in the client?

2012-06-13 10:21:20
XSL-List,

Like many, I have been pondering EPUB, ebook readers, and the development of ebook standards in the context of web technologies and others.

One thing I wonder is whether the train has already left the station on XSL-FO for handheld electronic devices.

Wouldn't XSL-FO make as strong a basis (or stronger?) for e-readers than XHTML?

Even if the current EPUB standards are based on XHTML, does this prevent a vendor from developing an XSL-FO client (which would run on desktop or tablet), thereby doing an end run around the problems related to fitting and extending XHTML/CSS to paginating devices (with requirements for keeps, floats, footnotes and the rest)?

What are the technical and non-technical challenges that hinder or prevent this?

Cheers, Wendell

Wendell Piez