xsl-list

Re: [xsl] [FO] image on even, table on odd, repeating image if the table is more than one page

2012-07-11 08:02:10
At 2012-07-11 13:32 +0200, Geert Bormans wrote:
I have a part list table that I need to show on the odd page of a PDF
I have an image that goes with the part list, that I have to show on the even page. In case the table breaks over multiple pages, I need to keep the table on the odd pages only
and I need to repeat the image on each opposite even page.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this?

I think this can be done with markers, but I haven't got the time this morning to write up a working mock-up:

 (1) - create a page sequence master that alternates the odd page having
       a body region for content with the even page having a body region
       without content ... this will flow the table on only the odd pages
 (2) - in a perimeter region for the even page, create an absolute block
       container the same size as odd-page-body-region, and in that container
       retrieve, in order, one marker for each diagram that might be
       needed by the table
 (3) - define all diagram markers as empty
 (4) - when flowing the table, put the image associated with content into
       that diagram's marker, clearing out the marker when the diagram is
       no longer relevant

I would prefer something that works with FOP
If this can't be done with FOP, please suggest an alternative

Your requirement is quite particular ... off the top I cannot think of an alternative. And I haven't tested the above, but I would write my test following those steps.

Sadly, having written out the algorithm I worry this won't work because the markers are defined in the flow *after* the page on which you want the images ... I now think the above steps will put the images on the even page *after* the odd page, which is not what you need.

You may be out of luck. There is no "look ahead" in XSL-FO ... I can't see a way of knowing what to put on page "n" based on content on page "n+1".

No problem with the odd-page-only table flowing ... I just think you can't get the images to work.

I hope this helps, even if it isn't a solution, in that I hope it helps to know that there may not be a pure XSL-FO solution. With post-processing you might be able to swap pages in some way ... but I think that would be untenable.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm