xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Force the case of a set of strings

2012-10-30 07:14:05

I have a sequence of strings which are all 'ok' or 'fail' where I
want to force the case of all of them.

Actually, it looks like you have a sequence of nodes in
$states, not strings.

Ah yes.  Actually I did know that (no really).  I just didn't state
It properly.

Can anyone suggest how I might process my sequence to return a
sequence but have each entry passed through lower-case.

$states/lower-case(normalize-space(column[7]))

Thank you, done that.  Seems to be working.

I remind my students in class that the "/" in "$nodes/expr" is an
abbreviation for:

   for $n in $nodes return expr($n)

... which is exactly what you did in setting your first variable.  I
just took it one step further.

I realized I could get the column data via normalize-space.  I just didn't
spot that I could just add the lower-case there.

I thought maybe I could pass it as a parameter to a moded
apply-templates, but then I get warned that select needs a node, not
a string, as its @select attribute.

That shouldn't be necessary if the input is as simple as you imply.

It wasn't, and it is.

Subsequently I do distinct-values on it and the result of that I
want only to contain 'ok' or 'fail', with no case variations
remaining.

The sequence above would be satisfactory input to distinct-values().

It was.

I hope this helps.

Very much so.
XSLT is very much about how to look at what you've got.
And especially about sequences.

Richard.