xsl-list

Re: [xsl] things about grouping

2012-11-28 05:47:38
Going to congregate my answers again.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Geert Bormans
<geert(_at_)gbormans(_dot_)telenet(_dot_)be> wrote:
Basically you are expecting that the semantics of a spoken language is
copied 1 to 1 to the syntax of a programming language,

Thats a strawman.

implying that the context should be found where you as a person (with your
personal language and cultural background) would expect to find it.

Said cultural background being (in my case) week 1 of year 1  of
secondary school mathematics. I remember it clearly - Chapter 1 of my
Modern Mathematics textbook - Set Theory.

That is dangerous, and from the programing language design not robust
enough.
I think you are overlooking the fact that for a machine you simply need to
be more precise.

Where do you draw the line?

I should ask you the opposite question.  If you advocate that  a
programming language implements constructs that have  a precise
mathematical meaning without  respecting the syntax AND the semantics
of  said mathematical construct, where do you draw the line?

Because basically thats what you're saying. That programming languages
can via specification construct their own reality and don't need to
respect the syntax and semantics of the domains whose concepts they
are implementing or modelling.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Welch