xsl-list

Re: [xsl] things about grouping

2012-11-29 02:22:51
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Ihe Onwuka
<ihe(_dot_)onwuka(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Andrew Welch
<andrew(_dot_)j(_dot_)welch(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
the comma operator corresponds to union written as | (by definition a
set is unordered so the additional ordering constraint imposed by the
, operator is meaningless)

The comma is just a way of separating items in sequence, whereas union
de-dupes and sorts into document order.

select="@foo, @foo, @foo"

vs

select="@foo | @foo | @foo"

the former selects a sequence of 3 items, the latter a sequence of 1.

ok but I'm translating , into a set-theoretic construct, in which
domain a,b is indistinct from a|b - correct me if I have got that
wrong.

sorry you mean the deduping........

well you are no longer dealing in sets ...... so if you apply a
set-theoretic construct then all bets are off and the law of the
jungle applies.