xsl-list

Re: [xsl] things about grouping

2012-11-29 00:29:32
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>
wrote:

If there had been a discussion I guess it would have been between those who
wanted to
use the language of mathematics and those who wanted something closer to
English; there is no knowing which view would have prevailed, because
committees don't apply a consistent policy on such issues, they decide each
question on its merits. As it is, the English conjunction was chosen over
the mathematical set operator.

Unfortunately they ended up applying the "English" syntax  to the
mathematical semantic.

(b) the context for evaluation. I have some sympathy with you here because
there are many cases in XQuery where I expect the context to change and it
doesn't. Most notably, I often (after years of practice) make the error of
writing "for $x in E return @a" (where it should be $x/@a). Similarly a
"where" clause in XQuery doesn't change the context.

Oh goodie - I can slip this in without having to start a new thread.

Why do I have to write

for $i in (1 to n)  return "$1"

instead of

(1 to n)/"$1!

where n above is an expression that evaluates to an intger.