xsl-list

Re: [xsl] deep copy without attributes

2013-05-20 14:47:58
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 08:22:53PM +0100, Ihe Onwuka scripsit:
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Andrew Welch
<andrew(_dot_)j(_dot_)welch(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Lots of xslt is non-intuitive, but that doesn't mean it's
cumbersome... try doing the same task in any other language.

You are speaking as and to the cognoscenti only.

Does that mean I'm wrong?

Are they the only ones that use the language?

You can't make the solution simpler than the problem.

The great success of XSLT is that it makes a bunch of highly intractable
problems solvable in efficient ways.

XSLT can't be made intuitive or easy or avoid the whole
welcome-to-the-land-of-nodes-yes-it-will-hurt-your-head and still solve
the intractable problems.  You really do have to deal with the concept
of nodes because it's the concept of nodes that makes the problems
solvable, it's not some unnecessary amusement of the language designers.

The good part is one gets to a place where you can recognize "I'm doing
something hideous and convolved, I must be doing it wrong"; the bad part
is that getting there is work.

--
Graydon Saunders
graydon(_at_)marost(_dot_)ca