xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Reflecting on: csv data to xml

2013-06-30 12:41:52
On 30/06/2013, Liam R E Quin <liam(_at_)w3(_dot_)org> wrote:
On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 09:49 +0200, Wolfgang Laun wrote:

XSLT is "special purpose" for XML handling and consequently easy to use,
but it isn't better than the average language for string processing.

"better" is subjective, or at least contextual.

You shouldn't judge things from a point of individual experience, or
with a certain problem in mind. I was trying to compare the elementary
quality of the available functions and statements.

A strength of XML is
that you can do text processing even if you do not consider yourself to
be a "hard-core programmer". For many such people it's easier to work in
XSLT than in Perl or Python.

*Serious* text processing isn't for amateurs, no matter which language.

Which Perl module did you use to write XML?

XML::Writer, which is purely accidental, since I didn't have to do
this ever before. (This is not the place to discuss CPAN modules - I
found one or two things I'd do otherwise.)

Wolfgang

Liam