xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSL-FO to PDF conversion speed

2013-09-30 03:12:58
Thanks so far.

The present solution has 12 tables. I could probably do without some
of them and merge the rest into just 6 tables. That might give me a
small reduction in time.

Now, my clients problem is bigger than my 5s for a single
transformation. They run a batch of 700-800 transformations (still
very few compared to the millions of runs others face as a challenge).

Am I right that even for just 700-800 XSLT/FO transformations, there
is a lot to gain from using FOP in a servlet, or would you advise me
to go for a commercial FO processor right away?

And what about the XSLT part. At the moment XALAN is used. My tests
for a single transformation show that not much is gained from using an
XSLT 2.0 processor (Saxon) and optimize the stylesheet for 2.0. I can
hardly measure the difference. Is this still true for a batch of
700-800 transformations?

Even split seconds gained ad up, but could there be other speed
benefits from using an XSLT 2.0 Saxon processor compared to good old
XALAN when we are talking about a batch job?

Regards
Jesper