xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed

2013-11-27 14:23:58
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Hank Ratzesberger
<xml(_at_)xmlwerks(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hi Tim,
Well, agreed, there may be diminishing returns on so many documents
sharing the same metadata,
in those cases, maybe the metadata could be a permanent URL to a
document rather than a
repetition of the same.  Processors could load the external document
as variable. AFAIK, that
does not violate any streaming principle.  If every document loads the
same external metadata,
then hopefully your processor or system will have cached copy.

Not so different than keeping a local copy of DTD files.

Great.  Because this is the approach I am using in healthcare.

[possibly nothing to do with your issue...]

But in so many instances, this is the pattern that makes XML such a
good replacement for
binary / proprietary files because the document becomes
self-contained.  For example,
when I worked with a seismologist -- all the data is just time series
points of acceleration.
Only until you add the instrument, sensitivity/scale, geo-location,
can it be usefully
integrated with other records for the same event.

Self-contained sounds good.  However, since an XML document can point
to another document, such as a schema. Doesn't it make sense that the
syntactic and semantic parameters are defined in one place?  I am
"assuming" that there are many, many data files created from one
instrument, sensitivity/scale, geo-location, etc. ???

Thanks,
Tim