xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed

2013-11-27 17:15:06
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Ivan Shmakov <oneingray(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Hank Ratzesberger <xml(_at_)xmlwerks(_dot_)com> writes:

[…]

 > But in so many instances, this is the pattern that makes XML such a
 > good replacement for binary / proprietary files because the document
 > becomes self-contained.  For example, when I worked with a
 > seismologist – all the data is just time series points of
 > acceleration.  Only until you add the instrument, sensitivity/scale,
 > geo-location, can it be usefully integrated with other records for
 > the same event.

        JFTR, there’re various binary formats doing essentially the same
        (check, e. g., the varieties of HDF [1], prescribed by NASA for
        EOS [2] missions), /and/ also that there /is/ a binary variety
        of XML [3].  (Well, a format that is entirely isomorphic to XML,
        yet built atop of a binary encoding, anyway.)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_Data_Format
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Observing_System
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Infoset

Well, I agree that you don't want your metadata to stray to far from
your data. Good points.

For the context, for the metadata, I think XML has the advantage
because that is often human readable content.  There may be a
location or name that is in Cyrillic or an original comment in French.

--Hank