xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Designing streamable XPath expressions

2014-01-05 15:51:48

On 5 Jan 2014, at 21:16, Costello, Roger L. <costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org>
wrote:

Michael Kay wrote:

      In the XSLT 3.0 specification, the expression
      count(//section/head) is streamable. This is
      explained in section 19.1

I am confused. Section 19.1 clearly says that count(//section/head) is *not*
streamable. I quote section 19.1:

      The rules given later in this chapter for determining
      streamability produce the result that the expression
      count(//section/head) is not streamable.

Michael, why do you say that it *is* streamable?

Because the section goes on to say:

In order to make such expressions streamable, implementations must therefore
detect this situation in the construct tree and perform an appropriate rewrite
before continuing with the analysis.

That is, the expression as written is not streamable using the normal rules, so
we require implementations to rewrite it in a way that (in this case at least)
makes it streamable.

Michael Kay
Saxonica