xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Streaming terminology: Grounded

2014-01-21 05:40:30

      The construct copy-of(.) is *grounded* because,
      when executed, it result in nodes that are
      not stream-processed.

Is that correct?

yes.

Now for a question please. Yesterday Michael wrote:

      > Grounded expressions can be consuming,

Yes, I can see that. The copy-of(.) construct reads (consumes) the input and
results in nodes that are not stream-processed.

      > and non-grounded expressions can be non-consuming.

That is saying there are expressions which, when evaluated, do not read
(consume) the input and yield nodes that are stream-processed, right?

Would you give an example of this please?

The expression ../@code is climbing and motionless

Other examples are a little artificial, but still exist:

* Non-streamable expressions such as preceding-sibling::* are neither grounded
nor consuming.

* The expression "." has posture that depends on the context item posture, and
sweep that is intrinsically motionless. So in a context like

child::x/name(.)

the expression "." has posture = striding, sweep = motionless

Michael Kay
Saxonica

--~--