xsl-list

Re: [xsl] When to use text()

2014-03-24 06:37:54
On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>
wrote:
You're absolutely right. I don't have the problem of designing
context-sensitive help, but I do have the problem of designing error
messages, and the same situation arises; you want to be concise, you want to
focus on what the user is likely to have done wrong, and occasionally there's
a real conflict between being helpful and being accurate and precise.
Normally, for example, I use correct terminology in error messages. But
before using a word like "atomization" or "effective boolean value" or
"facet" in an error message, you have to ask yourself whether the user will
understand it in the context where it is used.

The same factors arise with warnings. There are some constructs that are
correct but so likely to mean something different from what the user intended
that I now issue a warning for them; an example is the use of "true" and
"false" where the interpretation is child::true and child::false.

My aim with these things is to be helpful for the 90% of users who aren't
familiar with the fine detail of the spec, without totally pissing off the
10% who know what they are doing. It's a difficult balancing act.

Yeah I'm sure everyone can relate to that,, most often when learning
xslt I would need to use the text from the error message to search the
web to understand it. If you can find more explanation and an example.
it's all good.

--
-

Alex Muir