xsl-list

Re: [xsl] What is the Core of XSLT?

2014-03-29 18:13:34

On 29-3-2014 20:00, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
Agreed, but when working with non-nodes, like atomic values, we cannot
apply-templates on them. This limitation has been lifted in XSLT 3.0, in
which case apply-templates probably suffices.
I meant:

   <xsl:apply templates select="my:specialNode[condition-here]"/>

  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

  <xsl:template match="my:specialNode">

     <!-- Whatever needs to be done   -->
  </xsl:template>

Where did I say that we need to apply templates on non-nodes?

You didn't. What I meant is that I don't think you can do everything
with XSLT 1.0 that you can do now with a subset that does not include
xsl:if (xsl:choose can be implemented in xsl:ifs). For XSLT 2.0, you can
apply predicates on sequences, which I think would suffice to replace
xsl:if, but in XSLT 1.0 you cannot, as far as I can recall.

Of course, in my original question I wasn't clear about what language
features the subset should, and which they should not cover. But I think
it should be able to deal with strings.

Cheers,

Abel Braaksma
Exselt XSLT 3.0 processor