xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Functional programming

2014-05-05 08:21:01
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM, davep davep(_at_)dpawson(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

 Many functional programming
books begin by focusing on the more difficult concepts such as
recursion and immutability.

They are not more difficult, they are just different

This book lets you dive right in to
functional programming by teaching the most useful implementation
concepts first.

It would be fascinating (illuminating I doubt it) to discover what concepts
the author considers to be more useful than recursion and immutability.

Forgive the skepticism but every time I have bought an FP book not written
by an academic (i.e Practical this or Pragmatic that) I have regretted it.

It's either golly gosh wow look at this new powerful stuff, or much like
imperative programming books it's a very subjective take on what functional
programming should be about.

With very few exceptions  the best books on learning FP were all written at
least 10 years ago.