xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Functional programming

2014-05-06 03:41:33
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

They are not more difficult, they are just different

Read the archives of this list.

What new insight will I gain from doing that?

The insight that there are things you find easy which other people find
difficult. And probably vice-versa too.

Do you know when I started finding it easy. When I stopped trying to port
imperative knowledge over to the functional paradigm. Recursion etc is only
difficult if you insist on dry running every iteration to figure out what
gets done when - thats an imperative habit.

That's why there isn't one book which is right for everyone.

true .....there are  tons of em in a variety of languages all written
before FP became fashionable.

Different learning approaches work well for different people.

Yes people use different learning approaches to learn things.

Some people think they can teach//learn  XSLT by avoiding built in
templates and apply-templates etc and some people think they can teach FP
by avoiding recursion and immutability.

What can I add  other than the truism that your mileage may vary.