xsl-list

Re: [xquery-talk] [xsl] Re: Random number generation : requirements

2014-05-10 13:50:26
Hello,

The D3 JavaScript library has a few succinct first class random number
generation functions. They produce normal, log normal and other
distributions. They may be good models because they could demonstrate
the use of functional programming in 3.1:

https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/Math#random_logNormal

(From my brief reading, it seems that Dimitre's libraries can do similarly.)

But I agree with others here that UUID generation would be a common
use case, especially for XML databases.

Cheers,
Hank

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Dimitre Novatchev
dnovatchev(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

I believe that the WG is looking for use-cases and requirements and
wants to specify one or more standard XPath 3.1 functions related to
producing numbers with random or other specified distribution. They
are not directly concerned with the many possible implementations.

It would be interesting to everybody here to see what use-cases would
be provided.

--
Hank Ratzesberger
XMLWerks.com