xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT vs Web Components

2014-09-11 14:28:38
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

Well, one that I worked with was ICL QuickBuild, which was used by a few
hundred mainframe users in the UK for generating transaction processing
applications (some of them massive applications).

I remember it although I never understood it. There was also
ApplicationMaster... didn't understand that either.

It actually had many XSLT-like characteristics (which is what attracted me
to XSLT when I first encountered it).

Hah if only I knew then what I know now.

A program was a declarative description of an entire user session, with
all the management of session state taken care of behind the scenes. There
were quite a few such languages - most, like this one, tied to particular
hardware and software environments. Software AG's NATURAL is another
example.

I used to be an ADS/Online programmer - Cullinet Software IDMS database.

I don't think any 4GL had more than about 3% of the market, and that's
mainly what killed them - no standards, no critical mass.

They were all proprietary and restricted to 1 hardware manufacturer. Then
along came relational databases, open systems and PC's.

On 11 Sep 2014, at 16:55, Ihe Onwuka ihe(_dot_)onwuka(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com <