xsl-list

Re: [xsl] minified json output

2015-01-29 11:31:57
I had to do some work on version 1 recently and I was surprised at how
tolerable the whole experience was. Ok I didn't have to do any aggressive
string handling or anything that required a > recursive template  but it
brought home how well designed the initial incarnation of the language was.

No real argument with that, but I recall grouping was a major pain point.

I’m sure there were other benefits for the upgrade ( xpath expressions,
functions ) too, but yes, on the whole what was good then still is.

But now it’s just a pain that there are situations where I can’t apply code
developed for one context (servlet, web application) in another
(database).

So yeah, I still wish the rest of the world would move a little forward wrt
xslt.

Cheers,
Peter

From: Ihe Onwuka ihe(_dot_)onwuka(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
[mailto:xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]
Sent: January 29, 2015 11:57
To: xsl-list
Subject: Re: [xsl] minified json output

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Rushforth, Peter
peter(_dot_)rushforth(_at_)nrcan-rncan(_dot_)gc(_dot_)ca<mailto:peter(_dot_)rushforth(_at_)nrcan-rncan(_dot_)gc(_dot_)ca>

<xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com<mailto:xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>>
 wrote:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#xml-to-json-stylesheet
json support could be the motivation for us to upgrade to v 3 techniques.

Now that I am acquainted with JSONiq it wouldn't be enough to tempt me.  At one
point I thought streaming would but I keep finding workarounds.

I wish the rest of the world would get off version 1.

I had to do some work on version 1 recently and I was surprised at how
tolerable the whole experience was. Ok I didn't have to do any aggressive
string handling or anything that required a recursive template  but it brought
home how well designed the initial incarnation of the language was.
EasyUnsubscribe<-list/1072585> (by email<>)