xsl-list

Re: [xsl] HTML/XHTML/HTML5 Serialization Options

2015-04-27 16:20:35
I did a little more testing and here's what I found for the input "<br/>"
using Saxon 9.6, just to confirm Mike's assertion about what Saxon does
(and should be expected to do based on the spec):

Input doc: HTML tags with no namespace:

format="html": <br>
format="xhtml": <br></br>

Input doc: HTML tags in XHTML namespace:

format="html": <br></br>
format="xhtml": <br />

Since I want "<br />" in the result clearly I need to have my input HTML
in the XHTML namespace and a format value of "xhtml".

Cheers,

E.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com

On 4/10/15, 4:23 PM, "Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com"

As it happens I've been working on this the last couple of days: I found
that there were no tests in the W3C QT3 test suite for XHTML
serialization, and I committed about 50 this morning.

In XSLT 2.0, the XHTML serialization method treats elements like <br/>
specially only if they are in the XHTML namespace.

In 3.0, it depends on whether the property html-version="5" is set. If
not, it behaves as before: only elements in the XHTML namespace are
recognized. But with html-version="5", elements in no namespace are also
recognized.

Inevitably, given the shortage of test material, I found that Saxon 9.6
doesn't get all the details right, but on this particular point, I think
it's largely conformant.

Michael Kay
Saxonica
mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com
+44 (0) 118 946 5893

On 10 Apr 2015, at 22:08, Eliot Kimber ekimber(_at_)contrext(_dot_)com

This may be a Saxon-specific question, but I'll start here as there may
be
a general answer.

I am generating HTML, either as XHTML or HTML or HTML5 and I'm running
into issues with the handling of empty elements (meaning elements that
were or can be tagged as self-closed elements, e.g., <br>).

Doing a quick test with Saxon 9.6 and XSLT 2, given this input:

And serializing it using method "html" the result is the expected:

But for XHTML it's:

What I would like to is a self-closed BR element: <br/>.

Looking at the Saxon documentation I didn't see any Saxon-specific
serialization parameters that would control this behavior.

I realize I could implement my own serializer but I'm not keen to go to
that length if at all possible.

Is there a general solution that allows me to have XHTML or HTML5 output
with self-closing elements?

This comes up for me in several contexts:

- Generating XHTML as required for EPUB2 and Kindle documents
- Generating HTML as required for Web sites
- Generating HTML5 as required for EPUB3 and for use in HTML5-based Web
sites

I suspect that the real problem is generating XHTML when I should be
generating HTML. I need to explore that more, but I wanted to understand
my readily-available serialization options first.

Thanks,

Eliot

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner