xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Reasons for using XSLT to validate XML instances?

2015-06-19 12:12:52
Using XML Schema (which you can use inside a transformation with Saxon
2+) will tell you if your document is truly valid according to the XML
Schema :)

Using XSL to validate means you will need to determine the rules which
may or may not indicate an instance document is valid according the
XML Schema.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Costello, Roger L.
costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org
Thank you Graydon and Wolfgang. Good inputs.

For validation problems, is XPath 2.0 as powerful as XSLT 2.0?

My hunch is no, but I can't think of an example of a validation problem that
can be done in XSLT 2.0 and cannot be done in XPath 2.0. Can you think of an
example? If one could come up with an example, it would show that some
validation problems cannot be solved by Schematron and must be solved by XSLT.

/Roger