xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Reasons for using XSLT to validate XML instances?

2015-06-20 11:11:00
Hello Roger,
   I would like to comment about the suitability of using XSLT to validate
XML instances. I agree to your other points that, XML Schema and Schematron
can validate XML instances. I also know that RelaxNG is also a suitable
language, to validate XML instances.

XSLT is a language to transform XML instances or text input documents, to
other XML instances / text. XSLT is able to import XML Schemas, which I
believe are XSDs that allow schema-aware _XSLT transformations_. I would
like to then imply that, XSLT is not a native XML validation facility. i.e
XSLT (2.0 and plus) can use a Schema document(s), and then use it / them to
validate input XML documents before supplying the XSD annotated input XML
documents to an XSLT transform.
I hope these descriptions make my points clear pls.

On 19 June 2015 at 21:19, Costello, Roger L. costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org <