xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT 2: Best Way to Synthesize Elements Given List of Tagnames

2016-11-05 13:31:30
 fold-left(reverse(tokenize($path, '/')),
$stuff-from-somewhere-else, f:wrap#2)

While I am all for using FP, this is the most unreadable of all
proposed solutions.

Eliot specifically asked for XSLT 2 solution.

The 10-lines non-recursive, based on practical limitations XSLT 2.0
solution, compared to the XSLT 3.0 solution using fold-left() (or
<xsl:iterate>)  is similar to the Indian space ship that reached Mars
for less than it cost to make "Gravity":

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6837745/india-spacecraft-reaches-mars-orbit-less-than-gravity

:)

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com
In 3.0, apart from xsl:iterate as suggested by John Lumley, you could
consider using a fold:

<xsl:function name="f:wrap" as="element(*)">
  <xsl:param name="e" as="element(*)"/>
  <xsl:param name="n" as="xs:string"/>
  <xsl:element name="{$n}"><xsl:copy-of select="$e"/></xsl:element>
</xsl:function>

then

fold-left(reverse(tokenize($path, '/')), $stuff-from-somewhere-else, f:wrap#2)

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 5 Nov 2016, at 16:19, Eliot Kimber ekimber(_at_)contrext(_dot_)com

Say I have this string: "foo/bar" (or any arbitrarily-long sequence of
/-delimited tag names) and want to construct from it:

<foo>
<bar>
  <!-- Stuff added here that I get from somewhere else -->
</bar>
</foo>

Is there an easier or more obvious way to generate this than an recursive
function?

With a recursive function I can easily create child elements until the
sequence is exhausted but it feels like there should be an easier way
using XSLT 2 but if there is I'm not thinking of it.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber