xsl-list

[xsl] recursion

2019-01-23 21:34:27
Problem:  I have an XML file that has notes mixed up with comments.  I want to
move the notes from current location to Notes element.  There could be 0 to 10
notes.
Solution:  I will first copy notes found in
span[@class='x']
from current location to Notes.  With a second XSLT I will delete the unwanted
ones.

        <xsl:variable name="notes"
select="ancestor::Lexicon_Entry//LEXMeanings[1]//LEXSense[@LanguageCode='pt']//span[@class='x']"/>

Recursive code XSLT 2.0:
    <xsl:template name="get_note">
        <xsl:param name="notes" select="."/>
        <xsl:param name="number" ><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:param>
        number /<xsl:value-of select="$number"/>/
        notes[number] /<xsl:value-of select="$notes[$number]"/>/
        notes /<xsl:value-of select="$notes"/>/
        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="exists($notes[$number])">
                <xsl:element name="note">
                <xsl:attribute name="Caller"><xsl:value-of
select="$number"/></xsl:attribute>
                <xsl:attribute name="LanguageCode">pt</xsl:attribute>
                <xsl:element name="Content">
                    <xsl:copy-of select="$notes[$number]"/>
                </xsl:element>
            </xsl:element>
                <xsl:call-template name="get_note">
                    <xsl:with-param name="notes" select="$notes"/>
                    <xsl:with-param name="number"><xsl:value-of select="$number
+ 1"/></xsl:with-param>
                </xsl:call-template>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
            zzzzzzzz    <!-- end -->
            </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:template>

This works fine for 0 or 1 notes but when 2 or more are found it goes into an
endless loop.
Here is output with debugging code showing values
    <Note Caller="1" LanguageCode="en">