xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Grouping by letters but keep symbols together

2019-01-25 09:07:14
On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 02:44:50PM -0000, Rick Quatro
rick(_at_)rickquatro(_dot_)com scripsit:
   I am creating a glossary and I want to group entries under each letter of
   the alphabet. I am using this and it is working fine:
[snip]
   However, I want to group entries that start with a symbol or number all
   together under one group. I am not sure what to use for the group-by
   attribute so that letters are separate from each other and all of the
   non-letter characters are in the same group. Any suggestions would be
   appreciated. Thank you very much.

I'd use a Unicode character category match for this:

<xsl:for-each-group select="glossentry"

group-by="(substring(upper-case(glossterm),1,1)[matches(.,'\p{Lu}')],'NON-LETTER-GROUP')[1]">
    <topicref navtitle="{current-grouping-key()}" toc="no">
    </topicref>
</xsl:for-each-group>

What you put in for "NON-LETTER-GROUP" might depend on where or how
you're sorting the glossary entries.

-- Graydon