xsl-list

Re: [xsl] LF and serialize()?

2019-10-25 08:08:16
Am 25.10.2019 um 15:04 schrieb Birnbaum, David J djbpitt(_at_)pitt(_dot_)edu:
When I run serialize() (in Saxon-HE 9.9.1.4J XSLT) over an XML snippet, it does what I
need, except that it replaces LF inside attribute values with SP. This seems to be
consistent with what I read at https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize, and the
workaround described there (use a numerical character reference to LF instead of the
raw LF character) works. But I’d like to avoid having to specify in the XML
something that I would prefer to manage during the XSLT transformation, and I would
also like to avoid pre-processing the XML outside an XML environment and replacing the
LF with a numerical character reference there, before passing the modified XML into
the XSLT transformation.

So: Would anyone happen to know of a way within just an XSLT stylesheet to
retain LF within an attribute value as distinct from SP in the output of
serialize()?

What is an XML snippet? Are you sure it is the serialization that
converts linefeeds to spaces or just the XML parsing (that is also what
the spec you cite refers to)?