xsl-list

[xsl] LF and serialize()?

2019-10-25 08:03:49
Dear XSL-List,

When I run serialize() (in Saxon-HE 9.9.1.4J XSLT) over an XML snippet, it does
what I need, except that it replaces LF inside attribute values with SP. This
seems to be consistent with what I read at
https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize, and the workaround described there
(use a numerical character reference to LF instead of the raw LF character)
works. But I’d like to avoid having to specify in the XML something that I
would prefer to manage during the XSLT transformation, and I would also like to
avoid pre-processing the XML outside an XML environment and replacing the LF
with a numerical character reference there, before passing the modified XML
into the XSLT transformation.

So: Would anyone happen to know of a way within just an XSLT stylesheet to
retain LF within an attribute value as distinct from SP in the output of
serialize()?

Thanks,

David
djbpitt(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com