xsl-list

Re: [xsl] [ANN] Saxon-JS 2.0 is released

2020-06-12 10:17:33
Congratulations Saxonica!
(with special callouts to Debbie, John, and Michael).

This is a significant leap for all XMLers.

"You are the wind beneath our wings".

--Debbie

On Jun 12, 2020, at 10:42 AM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com

A significant announcement today...  Saxon-JS 2 is released!

This is a big development for Saxon on the Javascript platform. The most
obvious changes are:

* The product is now available on Node.js as well as in the browser

* The product now includes an XSLT compiler as well as a run-time, so it is
no longer restricted to users who have purchased a Saxon-EE license.

But there's also a vast number of smaller changes:

* A serializer with a very high level of conformance to the W3C specifications

* A richer Javascript API both for XSLT transformations and XPath evaluation

* Support for higher-order functions

* General filling in of remaining conformance gaps, taking us to 99.9%
coverage of XSLT 3.0 and XPath 3.1.

* Significant performance enhancements.

We're very excited by the potential of this product. Node.js has become a
very popular platform for high-performance web services, and until now it has
had rather poor support for XML technologies generally, and XSLT in
particular. Saxon-JS on Node.js is effectively a brand new XSLT processor,
which can now operate completely independently of the Java product. Our
initial performance results are very encouraging indeed.

We're making Saxon-JS available at no charge (but it's not open source).
We'll be offering a subscription package for enterprise users that will offer
source code, debugging aids, and functional add-ons in due course (please let
us know if you're interested: that will help us in designing the service).
But for the moment, please download it and try it out. For Node.js, it's on
npm with package names "xslt3" and "saxon-js". For the browser, you can
download from www.saxonica.com/saxon-js -- where you will also find full
documentation, delivered (of course) using Saxon-JS itself.

Debbie Lockett and John Lumley have devoted the last couple of years to this
project, and deserve a big round of applause.

Michael Kay
Saxonica
XSL-List info and archive
EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850