xsl-list

Re: [xsl] HTML5 and MathML and namespaces, oh my

2020-11-04 10:12:12
Chris,

Awesome. You have about cracked the namespace conundrum. Part of the key is
to see that the XSLT is also an XML document and follows all the same rules
as any other XML document as to its namespaces.

So:

Why would the XSLT serializer write explicit namespace references that
aren’t needed by context?

In this case, all the declarations in samples you have shown are needed
with the exception of the stray binding to an 'mml' prefix, which you
removed. They would not be needed if the processor (say) assigned all its
own prefixes to names, instead of using the names as given in the XSLT. But
we would hate that. So it does its best to give us what we need, with the
names it thinks we want.

Isn’t the point of namespaces that everything is fully qualified
internally, then the output can adjust accordingly?

Yes! As you've discovered, that can require some jiggery when multiple
vocabularies are competing for unprefixed names (or the same prefixes).

How do I get a clean <math> island of MathML content without namespace
stuff cluttering up its contents?

Bravo! Actually with a little practice you can make it so your code is
reasonably clean even in mixed-namespace use cases.

Old project: https://github.com/wendellpiez/XMLNamespaceFixup (but if you
do things right you'll never need it).

Cheers, Wendell

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 8:04 AM Chris Papademetrious
christopher(_dot_)papademetrious(_at_)synopsys(_dot_)com <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Martin,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

The :mml namespace was a vestigial declaration from earlier experiments. I
didn't realize its presence would cause problems. After deleting it, I get

    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";>
      <mrow>
        <mrow xmlns="">
          <mspace xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"/>
        </mrow>
      </mrow>
    </math>

which makes me now realize that my newly-added <mrow> was *not* in the
MathML namespace as I expected. So then I added

    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";

to my <xsl:stylesheet> opening tag so that the unqualified <mspace> in my
template was created in the MathML namespace, and now I get the expected
results:

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
    <title>Equations</title>
  </head>
    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";>
      <mrow>
        <mrow>
          <mspace/>
        </mrow>
      </mrow>
    </math>

In retrospect, my mistakes were:

1. Thinking that "xpath-default-namespace" affected new element creation
too.
2. Not realizing that the <mspace> created by my template was *not* in the
MathML namespace.

Many thanks!!

 - Chris

--
...Wendell Piez... ...wendell -at- nist -dot- gov...
...wendellpiez.com... ...pellucidliterature.org... ...pausepress.org...