xsl-list

Re: [xsl] building a mental model for the "current node" behavior

2020-11-05 08:46:47
Am 05.11.2020 um 15:11 schrieb Chris Papademetrious
christopher(_dot_)papademetrious(_at_)synopsys(_dot_)com:
I’m trying to better my understanding of “current node” behavior in
XSLT, and I have a couple questions.

1. Which stylesheet elements select the current node “.”?

The dot is used or usable in any XPath expression
(https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-31/#dt-dynamic-context) so I would suggest
to rather look at XPath to understand the context item or context node
as otherwise stuff like
   /items/item[cat[. = /categories/cat]]
will not be understood.

As a novice, I get confused remembering when the current node
does/doesn’t change. There’s also this, which I’m trying to grasp:

https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#func-current

What’s a good mental model for remembering this?

2. Inside an <xsl:template> block, is there a function that returns the
current **template-matched** node?

That is what the
  current()
function does, I am currently not sure why you first cite it and then
seem to ask for another function doing the job of the current() function.