xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?

2020-11-12 19:02:22
Trying to answer the original question.

Given the requirements, I find the answer suggested by Dimitre to be
useful, to use web service to get the UUID generated. Something
like, unparsed-text("https://uuid_service";).

That should be portable for deployment.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:06 PM Piez, Wendell A. (Fed)
wendell(_dot_)piez(_at_)nist(_dot_)gov

XSL Friends –

Today I write from the day job, where I am researching the question of how
can I go about producing random UUIDs, in dozens or hundreds, inside an
XSLT pipeline, without extension functions in Saxon. The Java randomUUID()
function works nicely when it’s available, but I need to distribute the
capability for SaxonHE and eventually SaxonJS.

We do not have an available implementation of RFC 4122 v4 “random UUID” in
pure XSLT do we, free to use (and study)? I know the functional nature of
the language makes randomness, um, problematic (when isn’t it?), which
sometimes means workarounds – that’s all fine. Indeed so would calling out
to a web service if it is known to be reliable. I have thought about
handing a list of UUIDs in at runtime, but as I said, there may sometimes
be hundreds and perhaps thousands, which makes that approach seem a bit
scary.

Any thoughts or perspective would be most welcome.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi